Jackfruit is an exotic tropical fruit that has been increasing in popularity in recent years. Ripe Jackfruit has a distinctive sweet flavor and smell which can be used to make a wide variety of desserts especially in baking. It’s also very nutritious and has many health benefits. What makes jackfruit unique from other fruits is its protein content and high levels in a few powerful antioxidants.
Vegan or vegetarian diets often use young Jackfruit which is tasteless as a meat substitute due to its texture, which is comparable to shredded meat. Young Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with. The Nori in the Vegan Crab cakes makes every bite taste like the ocean with crab like texture from the jackfruit meat. The tender Jackfruit meat absorbs all the spicy and rich Arrabbiata sauce which blends in so well with the al dente Farfalle pasta. I believe one should eat a wide variety of wholesome food, especially plants.
Jackfruit is a versatile fruit with lots of nutritional health benefits. One can make dessert guilt free and packed with nutritious values.
ARRABBIATA JACKFRUIT FARFALLE
150gm Clearspring Organic Young Jackfruit Chunks
2 portobello mushrooms
1 Yellow Capsicum
8 Black olives or Kalamata olives
1/2 bag Difatti Artisan Durum Wheat Squid Ink Farfalle Pasta
1 bottle Difatti Arrabbiata Sauce
Italian Pecorino Romano cheese
Green onion (Optional for garnish)
1. Cook the Difatti Artisan Durum Wheat Squid Ink Farfalle Pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes. Strain and keep the pasta water for later.
2. Cut Clearspring Organic Young Jackfruit Chunks into small chunks, same with mushrooms and capsicum.
3. Heat the Difatti Arrabbiata Sauce in a large pan with about 1/2 bottle of pasta water (from rinsing the bottle sauce).
4. Add all the ingredients, toss and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve the pasta hot with shaved Pecorino cheese and green onion.
Note: One can turn this pasta vegan by substituting the squid ink Farfalle with Rainbow Farfalle which is vegan and also substitute the cheese with vegan cheese.
JACKFRUIT BUTTER CAKE
250gm Butter (room temperature)
120gm Organic Raw/Brown Sugar
5 Eggs (room temperature)
250gm Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
11/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
250gm ripe jackfruit (diced)
1. Line a 7-inch cake pan. Sieve all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
2. Beat the butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy after about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. Add 1/2 the dry ingredients and then milk & vanilla and then the other 1/2 of the dry ingredients.
4. Stir in the diced cempedak.
5. Bake it in preheated oven 170C for 45-50 minutes. Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes. Upside down the pan on a rack and let it further cool down for about 15 minutes before removing the pan and the baking paper. Let it completely cool down before slicing the cake. This is a super moist buttery cake especially when you trim all the sides of the cake.
Note: Spelt with its mildly nutty flavor provides several essential nutrients, such as magnesium, zinc, iron and vitamins. Consuming spelt may improve heart health, reduce bad cholesterol and improve the immune system. So high protein spelt flour is a better alternative to regular plain flour.
Note: The seed of fresh ripe Jackfruit is edible. Usually, I will just boil it for 30 minutes with salt water or make hummus with it.
VEGAN CRAB (JACKFRUIT) CAKES
150gm Clearspring Organic Young Jackfruit Chunks (sliced and broke it like crabmeat pieces)
1 can Biona Organic Chickpeas (drained and smashed with fork)
2 Tbsp Chickpea flour
1 Sheet Of Clearspring Japanese Nori - Dried Sea Vegetable (Untoasted) (broken small pieces)
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tsp Simply Organic Garlic 'N Herb
2-3 Tbsp Clearspring Organic Sunflower Frying Oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix smashed Biona Organic Chickpeas, Clearspring Organic Young Jackfruit Chunks, Clearspring Japanese Nori, chickpea flour, balsamic vinegar and Simply Organic Garlic 'N Herb
seasoning with hand. Put the mixture in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This helps the mixture stay well and the flavor blend well together.
2. Make about 10-12 patties weighing about 35-40gm each. Lightly dust the patty with some chickpea flour.
Heat a large pan over medium heat, add about 2 Tbsp Clearspring Organic Sunflower Frying Oil. Place the patties in the hot pan, pan fry them for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Try to only flip each patty once. (Don’t overcrowd the pan or they won’t cook properly).
3. Serve hot with (avocado salsa), sprinkle paprika and lemon wedges.
Note: Avocado salsa is made of smashed avocado with 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp Garlic ‘n Herb.
©️ 2021 Moon Chai