A simple bowl of Singapore laksa reminds me of my childhood. My mother used to cook a big pot of aromatic laksa at Sunday's family gathering. My late mother was a resourceful person and she believed in wholesome cooking which meant using the freshest ingredients and making them from scratch. I remembered that I was helping to de-shell the fresh cockles which was one of my favorite toppings. Unfortunately, this time I couldn't find any fresh cockles. You can use cockles if you can find some fresh and good ones.
Laksa can be healthy and delicious if you use the right ingredients. Quality ingredients make a huge difference in creating an aromatic and delicious clean taste with umami flavour Laksa. I know many people use yellow noodles but I hope you are adventurous enough to try the Biona white spaghetti which is made of Durum wheat and alpine water. Much healthier and al dente texture noodles in an aromatic bowl of laksa soup. It is a mind-blowing experience to make these small changes. I am sure you will fall in love with it.
WHOLESOME SINGAPORE LAKSA
20 shallots (80gm)
5 Fresh Red Chilies
3 small cloves garlic
1/2 cup of Kitchen & love (Cucina & Amore) Grapeseed Oil
2 Tbsp Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
3 Tbsp Simply Organic Ground Paprika Powder
1 Tbsp Simply Organic Coriander Seed Ground
1 Tsp Simply Organic Ground Turmeric Root
1 Tsp salt
1. Blend the shallots, chilies, garlic, Galangal and candlenut together.
2. Pour Kitchen & love (Cucina & Amore) Grapeseed Oil into a hot sauce pan, stir in the blended ingredients and cook in low fire for 5-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the Simply Organic Paprika Powder, Coriander Seed Ground, Ground Turmeric Root and Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil and cook until fragrant in low fire (about 5-10 minutes). Can cook this ahead of time and keep for up to 1 week.
500gm prawns ( head and shells for broth and the meat for topping)
3 Tbsp Kitchen & Love (Cucina & Amore) Grapeseed oil
1.2 liter water
3 stalks lemongrass
3 stalks Laksa leaves
1. Stir fry the prawn heads and shells in a stock pot until it dries up all the liquid before adding the Kitchen & Love (Cucina & Amore) Grapeseed oil and continue to fry it on medium fire until it is all crispy and fragrant (about 15 minutes).
2. Add in the lemongrass, Laksa leaves and water. Simmer it for 30 minutes. Strain the stock and discard the shells. It yields about 1 litre of umami broth.
Use the chicken/Vegetables stock cubes with 1 litre of water, lemongrass and Laksa leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes and strain it.
2/3 of the Laksa Paste (1/3 for the topping)
1 liter broth
1 can Absolute Organic Coconut Milk
1 can Biona Organic Coconut Cream
Salt to taste.
1. Stir in the laksa paste into the broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the tau pok in and simmer for a minute and let it soak in the aromatic gravy. Stir in the Absolute Organic Coconut Milk, Biona Organic Coconut Cream, salt to taste and bring it to just boil before serving.
300gm chicken breast
200gm bean sprouts
100gm long beans
10 Tau Pok (Tofu Puff)
1 bag Biona Italian Pasta (white)
1/3 laksa paste
Dried Laksa leaves
1. Air fry/toast the laksa leaves until dry. Crush it in a bag. Sprinkle Dried Laksa leaves for the final touch.
2. Place Biona Italian Pasta (white)in a large pot of boiling water with salt and oil. Simmer for 11 minutes and strain.
3. Blanch the bean sprouts with the pasta water for a minute.
4. Blanch the long beans for 2 minutes. Strain it once it turns bright green.
5. Blanch the chicken breast in the laksa gravy for 9 minutes. Slice it once it cools down a little.
6. Blanch the prawns in the laksa gravy for 2 minutes.
Portion cooked pasta in a large bowl. Arrange sliced chicken breast, prawns, long beans and bean sprouts on the pasta. Generously ladle the hot laksa gravy over and sprinkle dried laksa leaves. Serve with laksa paste on the side or on the laksa. Serve immediately.
Note: One can choose different types of toppings according to your preference. I like to use wholesome toppings because it makes this aromatic laksa much tastier and healthy. This recipe serves up to 5-6 servings
©️ 2021 Moon Chai