Many don’t like papaya because of its pungent smell. There is a scientific reason for why papaya stinks. Papaya is chock-full of an enzyme called papain, which according to the Enzyme Education Institute has a somewhat offensive smell and “unpleasant” taste. Experts have found that papaya has antibacterial properties and promotes good digestion and wound healing. It also improves lactation in new mothers and relieves menstrual pain. Green unripe papaya helps to reduce the risk of heart disease.
All these three recipes will change your perspective over the “not so popular” papaya in your list. One should consume more papaya since we can get it easily in Singapore especially when it is packed with nutritious goodness.
GREEN PAPAYA SALAD OVER LOBSTER
1 (300gm) Green Papaya (shredded)
1 Green Apple (Julienned)
4 small Sweet Crunchy mix color Pepper (Julienned)
2 small cloves garlic (chopped)
1/4 Cup Biona Organic Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Biona Organic Maple Syrup - Squeezy
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tbsp Vegan Belacan (made from Biona Organic Tempeh)
Handful Toasted Pine Nuts
Parsley and Fresh Fig (Optional)
1. Prepare the Vegan Belacan by pan fried the diced Biona Organic Tempeh with1 Tbsp oil until dry and brown. Or air fry in 200C until dry and brown. Blend it with blender until it turns into a powder. You can keep it up to a month in refrigerator/freezer.
2. Clean and steam the lobster for 15 minutes. De shell the lobster with a pair of scissors. Use the meat only.
3. Prepare the dressing by mixing the Biona Organic Balsamic Vinegar, Biona Organic Maple Syrup, garlic, salt and vegan belacan in a bottle. Shake it well.
4. Toss all the ingredients well and serve immediately. Garnish with Grilled papaya, parsley, fig and pine nuts.
Note: One can substitute the lobster with prawns or pine nuts with sunflower seeds. This salad can be served without the shellfish as Vegan Salad.
GLUTEN FREE PAPAYA COCONUT BAR
1/2 Cup Amisa Organic Gluten Free Buckwheat Flour
1/4 Cup Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
1 Cup Absolute Organic Coconut Chips
1 Egg White
2 Tbsp Absolute Organic Australian Raw Honey
1/4 Tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line an 8”X 8” pan with baking paper.
2. Roughly blend/chop the Absolute Organic Coconut Chips in a blender.
3. Mix Absolute Organic Coconut Chips, Amisa Organic Gluten Free Buckwheat Flour, Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil, egg white, Absolute Organic Australian Raw Honey and salt until well combined in a large bowl.
4. Transfer to prepared pan and carefully press down firmly.
5. Bake 12 -15 minutes or light golden brown.
1/4 Cup Amisa Organic Gluten Free Buckwheat Flour
1/3 Cup Absolute Organic Australian Raw Honey
1/4 Tsp salt
3/4 Cup papaya puree
2 Tsp lemon juice
1. Combine all the ingredients and whisk it by hand until smooth.
2. Sieve the mixture and pour the filling over the hot crust and transfer back to the preheated oven (180C) for 20-25 minutes.
3. The filling will appear set when is done. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature. Best kept covered in refrigerator.
VEGAN PAPAYA SOUP
600gm Green/Half ripe Papaya
1 medium yellow onion (diced)
3 small cloves garlic (chopped)
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tsp Gran Luchito Habanero Lime Fajita & Taco Mix
700 ml water
1 cob corn (remove the kernels)
1 can Biona Organic Haricot Beans (rinsed and drained)
Biofournil Organic Country Style Baguettes
1. Sweat the onion and garlic with 2 Tbsp oil in a pot. Stir in the chunks of papaya and Gran Luchito HabaneroLime Fajita & Taco Mix. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the 700ml water and simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
2. Blend the soup with a handheld blender or food processor.
3. Return the soup to the stove and stir in the corn and Biona Organic Haricot Beans and simmer it for 10 minutes. Season with salt (about 1 Tsp) to your taste.
4. Serve with Grilled Biofournil Organic Country Style Baguettes.
Note: One can substitute the fresh corn with frozen or canned corn.
©️ 2021 Moon Chai